Volunteering Hebrides leads the way in volunteering for social change across the Isles of Lewis and Harris. Connecting more volunteers with vulnerable people than any other charitable organisation in the Hebrides, we welcome people from all walks of life to join our projects.
Befriending Lewis & harris
“tackling loneliness and social isolation in our communities!”
A unique project that supports hundreds of people every year, to feel better connected to others, and their community. The service offers a dynamic range of different Befriending options, including:
- Traditional face to face Befriending – matching a volunteer befriender with someone who might be experiencing loneliness and social isolation
- Group Befriending – anything from grand gatherings to mini tea parties, we host themed group events where people can join together and make new connections.
- Telephone Befriending – for people who prefer to connect by telephone for a weekly chat
- Healthier Lives Befriending – gym buddies, walking partners – getting active!
- Befriending Arts – our bespoke arts project offers a wide variety of artistic mediums to help combat loneliness and social isolation through creativity.
To get involved, please email us: email@example.com
The Embark Project
“inspiring community activity!”
The Embark Project is about new beginnings, being supported to learn, develop, grow, connect, participate and encourage healthy fulfilled, independent lives. Providing opportunities where often no opportunity exists, the project delivers a variety of supported community activities:
- The Embark Community Cycling Project – inclusive cycling regardless of age or ability. We offer a variety of supported cycling opportunities – one to one or group cycling events led by our certified Cycle Ride Leaders. We have a fleet of 40 bikes, ebikes, tandems and e-tandems available to use – there’s something to suit everybody!
- Going Places Walking Groups – enjoy walking with others at your own pace, through the Lews Castle Grounds. Weekly walks are led by our certified Walk Leaders
- Blue Moon Community Rowing Club – offering supported opportunities to get on the water in our St Ayles Skiff boat, Blue Moon.
- Embark Woodland Adventures – offering many different activities that support positive wellbeing and mental health. Join us for woodland foraging, shelter building, outdoor cooking and nature trails.
To get involved, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet The Team!
Volunteering Hebrides (VH) is a Scottish Registered Charity and not for profit Limited Company by guarantee without share capital (no: SC377230) based in the offices of Third Sector Hebrides at 30 Francis Street, Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis.
In addition to its social action projects, VH is one of six Partner organisations on the Third Sector Interface -Western Isles (TSI-WI) and our advisors can provide the following services to third sector organisations across Lewis:
Support, advice, and information: charity law, funding, constitution development, OSCR application processes, changing legal status.
Review and assessment: reviewing funding applications, annual monitoring returns, service level agreements, constitutional checks, policy review, business plans and funding and financial policies.
Training and facilitation: delivery of training for management committees and boards, business planning sessions, objective setting, monitoring and evaluation, board development.